Monday, May 25, 2009

Dreams of Walking and of Snakes

Last night I dreamed that I met up with an old friend from school. He and I weren't particularly close friends so I have no idea why we met in my dreams but that's just the way dreams are, I guess.

I can't remember how we met up but I had driven somewhere and then met him somewhere else so we had to get back to my car several suburbs away. We walked through all sorts of terrain, including a gold course, a creek, an old dilapidated house, a tunnel under a road and all sorts of other places. We even caught a bus at one stage but mostly it was just walking, and we talked all the way.

The conversation seemed so natural at the time and it had a really familiar feel, but I can't remember much of what we talked about. One thing I remember was him saying that he and his wife had separated but he is on facebook in real life and adds lovely photos of his wife and kids regularly. When I asked him about this in the dream he said sort of giggled and try to say that it was to annoy his wife but then said that it was because he didn't want to believe they had separated.

A little while later we got to his house and he suggested we could take his car to get back to my car. We went through the house thinking it was empty but then realised that his kids were in bed and that his wife would therefore be there as well so we left. Somewhere in the dream that I think was in this part I went into a bedroom and there was one of the mum's from school in bed. She didn't seem surprised or worried that I was there, she was just sleepy. I looked around and noticed that the house was really big (she has a small house in real life and has lamented about this many times) but it was a mess, like she had what she wanted but had given up on looking after it. I said something like this to her and she just said that she knew and rolled over to go back to sleep.

My school friend and I then went out the back and got into his car, which was some amazingly expensive jeep thing that looked like the cockpit of a space craft. It had several monitors to drive it with but it seemed to be driving itself. I remember my friend was laughing good naturedly at my incredulity. We drove for a bit but were standing up inside as we went but then I decided that it was too weird so I got out and kept walking.

My friend was walking with me again and the things that we had to go through were getting harder and harder. There was one part that was like a mini jungle and he had to climb over a bit of a rock face holding onto vines and tree roots and ended up falling into the water. I remember thinking that he was so much taller and more athletic than me so I was surprised that I managed to get past ok but when I looked down there were two smallish, thin brown/green snakes curled around my ankle. I shook them off almost absently but then my friend noticed that they were chasing me and they wrapped around my foot again.

I watched as one of them grabbed my toe in it's mouth but I still wasn't worried as it looked like it was only gumming it to hold on, not actually biting me. My friend was more worried so I tried to pick up the snakes to get them off and one bit my finger and took a chunk of skin out, but it wasn't very deep and again, I thought it was only to try to hold on. I did start to worry then though so I flung both of the snakes back into the jungle and ran off. I started to think about whether I had any poison in me and even though I felt fine I stopped my friend with great urgency and told him as much as I could remember about what the snakes looked like in case I passed out and he had to tell the doctors so they could give me the right anti-venom.

And that was the end of the dream.

No comments: