Monday, September 28, 2009

Decisions, Choices and Empowerment

I've been thinking a lot lately about decisions and choices. They are very similar concepts but I have been focused not on there similarities but on how they differ and how their differences apply to life. There are a number of very specific definitions of each word, which I invite you to look up if you're so inclined, else I ask you to just humour me in my ramblings for a wee bit.

The reason that I am looking at these two concepts lately is because I am increasingly aware of the many times when I do things that don't support a particular goal I am working towards. This, in essence, is the struggle of willpower. Why do I choose to do something that I know is working against something that I have previously decided I wouldn't do?

In this context, it seems to me that decisions are linked to resolutions but choices are linked to actions.

Looking at things this way, I have been able to work on increasing my awareness of my choices, separating them from habits or idle actions (or inactions, as the case may be) and linking those choices back to the decisions I have made previously.

I believe this is part of taking responsibility for your life and that this leads to the greatest gift of empowerment that we, as humans, are able to enjoy.

No comments: