Saturday, January 9, 2010

Told Me So

Oh, my! A dip in the pool was just what I needed. I am the epitome of the parent with pool who never goes in it but today was just heaven. I am such a woose when it comes to getting into the water and really don't like the whole getting climbed on, splashed by and deafened by wet widdies but with the Smiley Monster already being such an clever little swim boy, even for just four years and 26 days old, it was actually quite enjoyable. Of course, the K-man and the impossible princess are fine to swim without the climbing thing, but it seems to be a past-time they are loath to outgrow and the splashing thing is inevitable, I still felt like it was an absolute treat to be floating in the glorious salt-flavoured water, suspended gently by a turquoise pool noodle, just for half an hour or so while my body temperature dropped and I finally felt like I could start working on the outside chores.

So, once suitably saturated and satiated, I spent a few minutes in repose giving thanks for the cushioned pool furniture donated by our last neighbours prior to their move into a active retirement complex near Taree and for all that my current lifestyle has to give thanks for (which is great in my heart, if not in that of my bank managers) then off to feed and water my feathered, finned and four-legged outdoor companions.

Once that was done, all that was left was to grab a chardy and my current read (Ben Elton's Meltdown, which I am finding surprisingly less enjoyable than I expected but still a comfortable discourse) and sit by the pool passing a few leisurely hours until it was time to move on to the next and somewhat loathed phase of shower, jammie and dinner time. A quick text to the the recently relocated tea lady and on to bigger, better and bolder things.

The Starchild is still a few hours away. I am strangely hungry for Chinese take-away, but Newcastle, being the dinning Mecca that it is, and Thornton even more so, I have been unable to locate a suitable establishment willing to bring said delicacies to my door. So, pasta for the kids and scrambled eggs for me, it seems, without grudge nor grumble, I am happy and I am loved. Jen's text message told me so - MWAH!

2 comments:

Kerry said...

sounds like a great day Wendy....relaxation in the pool sounds like heaven, reading your book by the pool is just as good too.

Not much else you can do in this heat.

Oh, and take away choices are just as dismal in rutherford. :-(

angela said...

like you I did not do the pool thing, but have rediscoverd it this year.
Might have something to do with fitting into swim suit!
But a cool dip at the end of a long day is just bliss